Life insurance has many unique characteristics that may make it an appropriate solution for a variety of uses in addition to the death benefit protection. Some of these characteristics include:
- Policy cash values accumulate on a tax-deferred basis.
- Policy death benefits are received income tax-free.
- Policy cash values, in many cases, may be accessed on a tax advantaged basis, therefore, can be used as a supplemental retirement plan not subject to the restrictions of qualified plans. Loans and partial withdrawals will decrease the death benefit and cash value and may be subject to policy limitations and income tax.
- Can allow families to spend down their retirement plans knowing that their legacy to loved ones is taken care of.
- May provide tax-favored income for children’s education.